Not that the recipe was hard to make but at that day we were working almost like a food production line: one was cutting, another one grinding beef, another one frying and me... well I was mainly in charge of baking but I wasn't having a good day in the kitchen (yes, it happens to everybody) and I manage to get distracted and swap the amount of sugar and flour in the recipe and at the end I could not turn the cake from the pan. :-)
Luckily, my friends saved our meal and produced three awesome dishes. Menu was: twice cooked pork belly in tea sauce, crispy chicken with sweet lemon sauce and lamb lettuce cups - all served with a nice warm salad.
These Crispy Chicken almost didn't make it to the table! We just could not wait and had most of it while cooking the other dishes. I am sure it will also disapear in a blink of your table!
Crispy Chicken with Sweet Sour Lemon Sauce
Serves: 4 | Cost:$$ | Difficulty: Medium | Time: 1h
Author: Marina Body
For the Chicken
- 3 Chicken Drumsticks deboned and cut as filets
- 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Tablespoon Rice Wine
- 2 Egg yolks
- 1/2 Teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 5 Tablespoons Corn Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Self Raising Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame Seeds
- Oil to deep fry
- 300 ml Water
- 3 Tablespoons Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Tablespoon Corn Flour
For the Chicken
- In a large bowl mix the soy sauce, the rice wine, the egg yolks, the black pepper and the salt.
- Sir is the Chicken making sure it is coated well. Leave it marinating for 1/2 of an hour, covered with a plastic wrap and at room temperature.
- In another bowl mix the corn flour, the self raising flour and the sesame seeds.
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan - the oil will be hot enough to fry when you dip the tip of the cable of a wood spoon in the oil and lots of bubbles form around it.
- In batches quick coat the fillets with the flours and sesame seeds mixture and fry it immediately until golden brown and the chicken completely cooked (that will be about 5 minutes depending on the thickness of the fillets).
- Remove it from the oil and allow it to drain for some minutes on a plate covered with a paper towel.
- Mix all sauce ingredients together and bring it to boil for a couple of minutes in a small sauce pan over medium heat.
- For Assembling
- Cut the Fillets in stripes, arrange in a plate and drizzle the sauce on the top of it.
- Serve the extra sauce as a side.